JOE lil’brary is a free book sharing movement. A lil’brary is free for all to use (adults, teens and kids.) With the motto ‘Bring a book, borrow a book’, the aim is to bring people together and get more books into people’s homes. Lil’braries are about freedom. Freedom to read, freedom of ideas, freedom of communication, providing information and education to all.
This free book-sharing movement is fuelled by generous citizens who believe in the importance of getting South Africans back into reading in a digital age.
We encourage children to read because the result is that children who don’t read for pleasure have decreased concentration, memory, confidence, lower self-esteem and general knowledge. Reading builds empathy, improves imagination and language development. Reading for pleasure is the single biggest indicator of a child’s success academically – more than social background or parents’ education.
Who can start a lil’brary?
Anyone can start a lil’brary. All you have to do is fill in the ‘Donation List’ that we have established for pre-primary schools, primary schools and non-profit organisations who would like a free lil’brary. We have generous donors who will pay for the lil’brary. The waiting list is open to any public and private pre-primary and primary school and registered non-profit organisation in South Africa.
Who can use a lil’brary?
Anyone may contribute or take books, if you take a book (or two) from a lil’brary, you do not need to return that exact book but the next time you swing by the lil’brary bring a few books to share with everyone.
How to donate books?
If you want to give a few books, simply put them in a lil’brary near you.
JOE Lil’brary is currently located at the following areas:
- JulieBean Artisan Coffee shop in Lynnwood, Pretoria.
- The After School Zone (90+ kids) in Kensington, Johannesburg.
- Elite Wealth Solutions‘ rec room in Faerie Glen, Pretoria.
- Toni’s Pizza in Rietfontein, Pretoria.
- Unitas Hospital‘s pediatric ward.
- Pure Café in Colbyn, Pretoria.
- Laerskool Buhrmannsdrif Primary school received 8 X JOE lil’braries.
- Paradigm Kids Montessori pre-school received 2 X JOE lil’braries.
- 150 Indie books were sold on the JOE Indie Pop-up Book Fair event that was held on the 14th July 2018.
- Nova Pioneer South Africa, Paulshof school received 5 X JOE lil’braries.